Instant Backpacker Car Insurance New Zealand


backpackers car insurance NZ

Two options

  • OPTION 1: THIRD PARTY. This covers you from accidental damage to other's property and/or injury or death of anyone other than you or your family members because of an accident arising out of the use of your vehicle. Your liability is covered up to NZ$1,000,000.
  • OPTION 2: THIRD PARTY + FIRE AND THEFT. Same cover as Option 1 + accidental damage to your vehicle arising out of fire, theft or illegal conversion. Your liability is covered for up to NZ$1,000,000 with damage to your motor vehicle from theft, fire or illegal conversion to a limit of $3,500 or market value, whichever is the lesser.
  • We offer an optional Roadside Assistance anywhere in New-Zealand - $114 for 12 months only.
Age of Youngest Driver Option 1
 Third Party Only
Option 2
Third Party + Fire & Theft
  3 months 3 months
18-21 NZ$230 NZ$288
22-24 NZ$216 NZ$273
25+ NZ$203 NZ$260
  6 months 6 months
18-21 NZ$265 NZ$336
22-24 NZ$258 NZ$329
25+ NZ$229 NZ$300
  9 months 9 months
18-21 NZ$303 NZ$379
22-24 NZ$296 NZ$372
25+ NZ$276 NZ$352
  12 months 12 months
18-21 NZ$330 NZ$420
22-24 NZ$323 NZ$412
25+ NZ$296 NZ$386

Conditions of the contract

  • Be at least 18 years old and hold a valid drivers licence (and international drivers licence if necessary).
  • NOT be a New Zealand citizen or resident.
  • There is a 48 hours stand down period after the purchase date of Roadside Assistance policy before it becomes an active policy

5% with promo code SUPERSAVER  
Any questions? Call us in Auckland on 09 360 5458 

Frequently asked questions

  • What do I do if I have an accident?  DO NOT admit liability. Write down ALL the details regarding the accident, including the name and contact details of the other party. If there are any independent witnesses get their names and contact details too. Then phone 0800 774 747 to report the claim.
  • Can motorbikes and campervans be insured?   Yes. Campervans can be insured under Options 1 or 2 (Fire & Theft). Motorbikes can be insured under Option 1 (Third Party) only.
  • Can I drive in New Zealand?   You can drive in New Zealand if you hold a driver’s license from another country or an international driving permit and: your overseas license is current and valid; you’ve not received a disqualification or suspension in New Zealand; you last entered New Zealand less than 12 months ago; your overseas licence is in English (if it’s not, you must have an official translation). For more information on driving requirements in New Zealand please visit 
  • Remember! Your policy does not cover you if:  you do not comply with the terms of a valid driver’s licence; the driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs; your vehicle is used in an unsafe or unroadworthy condition; your vehicle is being used for or tested in preparation for any form of motorsport or used for business or commercial purposes.
  • Who is covered to drive my vehicle? Any person may drive the vehicle so long as they hold a driver’s licence which is valid in New Zealand and have been given authorization by the owner of the vehicle.
  • How do I add an additional driver to my policy?  You can add up to 5 drivers to your contract for free.
  • What is an excess?  It is your contribution to the cost of repair of the third party vehicle.  Your excess on any claim is NZ$500.
  • If I have a motor vehicle accident, will my policy cover the damage to my car?  If  you are responsible for the accident you are covered for all damages caused to other people’s vehicle and property, but not to your own vehicle. If you are not responsible, you can request the other party to pay for your repairs (via their own insurance company or their own pocket).
  • Am I covered for windscreen, glass or tyre damage?   No, third-party insurance doesn’t cover these kind of damage.
  • Am I covered for mechanical breakdown?  No, because it's third-party insurance. We recommend that you take roadside assistance. To subscribe, simply add it by ticking  the box when you sign up for the car insurance policy. If you wish to subscribe separately, contact us by email:
  • What does roadside assistance cover? Our partner has 350 assistance vehicles on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. You can benefit from the assistance in the events of flat battery, emergency fuel, lost keys or lock outs, flat tyre, towing (up to NZ$ 100) and technical advice. If your vehicle breaks down due to a mechanical or electrical failure and cannot be repaired in 48 hours, the assistance will pay for accommodation or a rental car.
  • Am I covered for theft of my personal items from my vehicle?   Third party vehicle insurance doesn’t typically cover personal property. Some travel insurance contracts do. Check it!
  • What if I want to extend my insurance?   Policies cannot be extended after purchase. We suggest you take out a longer policy if you are unsure of your length of stay. Policies are available for 3, 6, 9 or 12-month periods. The price difference between 3 months and 12 months is not significant. 
  • Can I get a refund if I cancel my policy early?   No
  • If I sell my old vehicle and buy a new one, can I transfer my policy?  Yes. If you buy a new vehicle the policy will automatically transfer to the new vehicle. Please note your policy only covers one vehicle at a time.
  • Do I need to notify you if I buy another vehicle?   No. The policy automatically covers the new vehicle. However, please call 0800 774 747 and select Option 1 if you want to notify us of a change.
  • Can I pass on my insurance to another person if they buy the same vehicle?   No.
  • Can a named driver under the cover take over the cover if they buy the car from me?  No. They will need to apply for the cover in their own name if they take over ownership of the car.
  • Does the policy cover any legal or medical costs involved in the accident?   Because of the Accident Compensation Act, which provides accidental injury treatment for free in New Zealand and generally prohibits a person from suing another for personal injury, it is very rare for anyone to be sued  for causing injury. If you are held liable for property damage or sued for injuring another person who is not a member of your family the policy will pay third party costs and court ordered compensation if you were at fault, or it will pay to defend you if you were not at fault. The policy will not pay for the defence of, or fines following, any criminal charges such as dangerous driving which arise out of an accident.
  • How do I make a claim on my policy?  If you need to lodge a claim with us, you can contact our Customer Care Centre on 0800 774 747 and select Option 2.
  • Who can I call if I have a question about my policy?   You can ring our Customer Care Consultants between the hours of 8:30am - 5:00pm (New Zealand time) on 0800 774 747 and select Option 1.
  • Who is the Insurer?  Your policy is underwritten by QBE Insurance (International) Ltd and is administered by Crombie Lockwood.

Download terms & conditions of motor insurance policy

If you have any questions or run into any problems to sign-up online, feel free to contact us on or 09 360 5458.

Important: information provided in this page are not binding. Only the Terms and Conditions provided by Crombie Lockwood acting on behalf of QBE are valid.


QBE Crombie NZRA